Sunday, January 31, 2010

A Classic, The Pound Cake

Had an itch to try something new this week, pound cake.
I wasn't sure why they called it "pound cake" so I did a little (very little) research and here it is,

your "fun fact" of the day:

It seems that the original recipe from the early 1700's used a pound of every ingredient
(butter, sugar, eggs and flour)
and not because you gain pounds for eating it.

Hope you feel as enlightened as I do :)

They turned out nicely and the recipe I used actually made 5 mini loaves so I gave some away to some friends. I noticed something though, the mini loaves get eaten faster.

Dense and moist with a buttery almond flavor, it's easy to see why they went so fast. The recipe was actually one from Better Homes and Gardens magazine for Vanilla Sparkling Wine Pound Cake but I substituted milk for wine because I didn't have any. I also like to take a recipe down to it's bare-bones to sort of test it so I was OK with leaving the wine out this time. The basic recipe was delicious and I'm interested to know what difference the wine will make.

Until next post, happy baking!

2 comments:

  1. Um, yes... this was fantastic! :) I'm ashamed when I think of how quickly I ate that mini loaf... :-/

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you Amanda, I'm glad you enjoyed it. One of these days I'll sit down and figure out the points per cake. I did use some lighter ingredients like skim milk, light sour cream and "I can't believe it's not butter" if that makes you feel any better?

    ReplyDelete